Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Regarding 1/4 clear tempered glass, We received and full…

Customer Question
Regarding 1/4 clear tempered glass...
Regarding 1/4 clear tempered glass, We received wood and full length glass doors that
were manufactured in Canada. The tempered glass that was supplied stated that the
tempered glass supplied was as per French specifications. My question is, is there a
difference between French and U.S. specifications regarding tempered glass, and is
there a problem using tempered glass is the U.S. with French specifications. Please
advise, Thank You,
Reuben Ungar
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
2/18/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Susan Latta, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi Rueben,

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this question.

So are you living in the U.S.? Are you building a new home or is this just a door replacement project?

How or what did the label say on the doors?

What I have read, the US regulations are the same as French regulations. Tempered glass means that if the door gets hit and the glass breaks, the glass will shatter into small, fingernail sized pieces. Canada's definition of tempered glass is the same as in the US. In Canada, the homeowner must keep proof of the tempered glass for 4 years.

If you purchased your doors from a supply house in the United States and an issue came up with the doors, then the supply house will be in trouble, not you. They shouldn't have sold anything that didn't meet US regulations.

This isn't an issue you need to worry about, you are fine with the doors you purchased. If this is a new home you're building, you can ask the building inspector as he comes through periodically to be sure, but otherwise, you can rest assure that your door glass is fine.

Do you have other questions?

I hope this helps!

Susan

If you feel I addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

By providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.