Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

13 year old Wayne Alton Idrive when the garage door is up, I…

Customer Question
13 year old Wayne Alton...
13 year old Wayne Alton Idrive when the garage door is up, I can release the door using red emergency cord. But when it is down, will not release. I have used considerable force, but do not want to shred or break the wire.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
2/12/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 years ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

we can make an adjustment ........will you be capable of doing so?...............if the adjustment doesn't work you might have to call in a serviceman for a different part ...........but we can try this first

eddie

Ok
Waiting for your response

okay can you go to your wall remote ?

all the way to the right there should be what is called a profile button .......it should be to the right of the arrow buttons

let me know if you have that

Have no arrow buttons on my wall remote

do you know if you have a profile button on it?.................if not I will need a model number then to try and get the right unit

Model number of what? The opener?

yes

or upload a picture of the wall control

How do I upload a picture am using an ipad

okay back to a model number then

Am looking

it might be something like ............SERIES 9000 ............. MODEL 5120

3661-372.
Ok found the arrows on the remote. Did not know it was like a flip phone

and the profile button to the right ?

is there one?

Nothing called the profile button. Two buttons below ----a door move up and down button and a program install routine button. To the left there is a lock and unlock toggle.

it might be that program install......................okay you are going to close the door and make sure the release handle is in the upper position then we'll try holding down that program button for about 5 seconds .............then you should hear two beeps and you will release that button..............the door will open then close and then open and close again so stay clear ...........let me know if this occurs

You still there?

yeah sorry I had a lot to type

that worked it is now closing for the second time. Done
Didnt,hear beeps , but that could be my lack of hearing.

lol I have the same problem ..........I didnt hear the beeps either

everything seem okay now? .........closing with the right amount of force?

I don't know. I will try the red release
But still cannot release the door. I think the door closes with 2 much force, thus making it impossible to use the red emergency release.

okay we can try one more thing

Next?

press and hold that program button for 5 seconds again.........then release...........the door will open ..........when it gets the the right upper position press and hold the UP/DOWN button until the door stops...........then it will close again and will cycle again ............when this is done ...............disconnect the door if you can and lift it to its upper position and re connect ............then hold the program button for 5 seconds one last time

if this doesn't work then you will probably need a torsion spring adjustment that I mentioned before

unfortunately Wayne Dalton Openers are known for this

No luck.

nothing moved or nothing changed?

No it recycled but still unable to move the cord when the door is in the down position.
If that is all you can do.....Will disconnect our chat.

sorry I wished I could have fixed it for you but I hope I was of some help and consider me a positive rating for the time spent