Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My craftsman 139.53985D garage door opener is working

Customer Question
My craftsman 139.53985D garage...

My craftsman 139.53985D garage door opener is working intermittingly. First the door is stopping either on the way down or on the way up. Also the unit when in use will shut down no power.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This motor was purchased used about 60 days ago, its one year old. it worked fine for about a month .

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
2/1/2016
Home Improvement Expert: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Home Improvement category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

It sounds like you purchased the motor used, is that correct? I'm assuming you purchased the motor to replace one that had failed?

Based on the symptoms you are having, especially that it loses power during operating, you have a failing motor again. Assuming the motor had no problems when you purchased it used, you may have a problem with the tension on your door springs or something else causing excessive resistance, that is taxing the motor. I would check the springs/tension and replace the tensioners if necessary.