Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

To whom it may concern, I own a small gym 6600sqft. Its

Customer Question

To whom it may concern,
I own a small gym 6600sqft. Its divided into a foyer and 2 sides for working out. The first side has weight machines and cardio equipment that area is carpeted with sheetrock on the walls. The second side has free weights and rubber on the floor 2 walls are sheetrock and the east facing wall Hass cider block. Every year when the temperature changes outside to below 40drgrees on that cider block wall, it develops mildew and the room gets damp to the point that the floor is wet. What can I do to stopped this from happening every year?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Without seeing your building it sounds like you need water control. You either need rain gutters or there is a problem with the ones you have . All water needs to be directed away from the buiding either using natural slope or the installation of "french drains".

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Rain splatter from one storm is enough to get up under the slab or foundation and soak into the block wallls. Colder temperatures make the situation worse and combined with the heat in the building mildew develops.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Other possibilities for moisture intrusion can be roof leaks in the area over the exterior wall. This is especially common with flat roofs . The water runs down the hollow area of the exterior block wall without appearing as a leak moisture accumulates and wets the floor.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

You mention rain as making the problem worse so water control is the likeky problem.

Dehumidifiers remove water from the air . Water retained in the structure will not necessarily be removed by the dehumidifier , thus the lack of water in its collection chamber / bucket .

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

You may also need to check that your exterior walls have been treated properly with a waterproofing sealer .

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This or a similar product may be needed to seal your exterior wall and foundation.