Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Have a concrete block wall on the side of the house. I added

Customer Question

Have a concrete block wall on the side of the house. I added a 4 ft section to the top of the ordinary wall and let it cure for over 2 weeks this spring. I ended up attaching a 6 ft gate to the wall and now for some reason the mason joints cracked on the addition and tip over when the gate is opened.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would the joints crack and what concrete should i use to repair beings its only 35 degrees outside
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-t5blslky- replied 1 year ago.

Patching the mortar joints will not correct the problem. You should run 1/2" or 5/8" rebar down through the new blocks as close together and as far into the old blocks as possible. Mix up some concrete and pour it into the cavities in the blocks (its called core pouring). The concrete will set up and adhere both to the concrete bocks (new and old) and the steel rebar. Mix your concrete just thin enough to make sure it goes down through the block cavities as far as possible. You should wait until you expect to have four or five days without freezing temperatures. When you are finished, check your work to make sure your new blocks are level and plumb. At this point you can make minor adjustments.. Hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did thanks