Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a section of foundation outside that's about four…

Customer Question
I have a section...

I have a section of foundation outside that's about four feet long that is wet. We believed it was a dryer vent leaking as that's the only plumbing that is in that area of the house, and changed it on Sunday, but it still seems quite wet. It's only on the slab area, but we have no idea what's causing it. Foundation issue, leaking pipe, etc....

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Not sure what else to say. The spot is at the foundation, directly under the laundry room on the second floor. Several years ago, some birds did get into the drier vent and nested, using some of the insulation as nesting material. I filled the space between the outside and inside walls with insulation this weekend, replace the vent hose, etc...sealed both sides of the wall.. The bricks at the foundation are dry, but right under, on the slab, there is water.

Contractor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

How long of a wait? Just curious. We were going to wait a few days to see if what I did over the weekend does anything.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/20/2016
Home Improvement Expert: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago
NCCPrime

Hello and welcome to the service. To better assist you I will need additional info and clarification. You said that the wet spot is the slab below the foundation. At first when I started reading your question I thought it was the foundation blocks that were wet. Now, is the wet spot in the basement? Also, you mentioned the laundry being on the second floor. On the same wall on the first floor do you have any plumbing? Please asnweer these questions and also give me as more details as possible. I will do my best to determine what might be causing this issue. Thanks

I attached a photo. To the left of the photo is the dining room, to the right is the kitchen. There is plumbing there, but the wet spot stops about four to five feet from the kitchen sink and only goes about as far as the pantry into the kitchen area. Directly above the wet spot is the laundry room. The wet spot extends about the length of it, and stops about where it stops.
Home Improvement Expert: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello again and thanks for the info. Actually the photo helped me to have a better picture of that section of your house. As far as your dryer vent it is not possible there is a leak from there. There are two possibilities only and I will start from the most possible scenario. A pipe from your laundry room is leaking. I see that your house is brick. It is highly unlikely tour pipes froze unless there is a hole somewhere and cold air goes through that spot. What state are you in and what's the weather conditions currenlry? Now regardless whether a pipe froze and broke or just broke the point is there is a leak and that's from a water pipe possibly from your laundry room coming down. The other scenario is a leak from your base board if that's the heating system you have. The most unlikely scenario is the leak coming from the plumbing of your kitchen. Also, if you have a garden faucet outside your house that is located near by that area is another possibility. Unfortunately, the only way to find out what is causing that water leak is to open up the wall right on that spot. That needs to happen from the interior. Then you will see where that water is coming from. I am almost certain it is coming from the plumbing of the second floor or from your baseboard. It is almost impossible is coming from your dryer vent. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions. Also, I would appreciate your feedback by clicking accept and rating my service. Best of luck!!!

Home Improvement Expert: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago

If in any event you rather contact me or any of our experts over the phone feel free to do so. Thanks again and good luck!

NCCPrime
NCCPrime
NCCPrime