Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years in the field
23511658

After replacing the torsion springs on a two spring door

Customer Question

after replacing the torsion springs on a two spring door when I open the door the cables come off both drums
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question if you still need assistance.

In order to correct the problem, you are going to have to move the spring anchor bracket and then re-tension the springs. When you put the new springs on, make sure they are wound and that the set screws are in place securely. When you do this are they winding loose or is the cable just coming off? Here is a full how-to on the springs for most doors:

http://bitli.es/znqUps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What you provided was very informative, but it didn't answer my question. I think my problem is the rod has been scored by the set screws on the drum and can no longer hold the drum in place, then it spins under load and the cables comes off.

That sounds logical. Are you able to offset those screws at all so they don't fall into the same place? You might also be able to drill a small pilot hole into the rod - just enough for the set screw to secure itself into one position. I wouldn't necessarily go all the way through - just a divot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael, I replaced the tension tube, cable drums and cables. Reinstalled everything and now it works fine. The cables no
Longer come off the drum

That's certainly one way to approach it! Thanks for the update.

I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service at your convenience. Thank you!