Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

We have 4 1276 model smoke alarms. One of them was beeping

Customer Question
Customer: We have 4 1276...
Customer: We have 4 1276 model smoke alarms. One of them was beeping today and we replaced all 4 batteries. We cannot stop them from beeping even though we have reset AC power and followed all manual instructions. Please help before we call the fire department.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes....please hurry
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/6/2016
Home Improvement Expert: FireAlarmTech,
 replied 1 year ago
FireAlarmTech

I'm assuming these are Kidde 1276 smoke alarms. When you replaced the batteries, did you actually disconnect them from the wiring? Here's what you do. Remove the detector from the base. You'll notice a small plug at the back of the detector. You have to squeeze the two tabs on either side together while gently pulling on the plug. Remove the batteries. Leave the unit unpowered for five minutes. While you're waiting is a good time to take out your vacuum cleaner and with the soft brush attachment, vacuum all around the detector side vents and back. When the five minutes are over, replace the batteries. Make sure they're aligned correctly and you've pushed the little red tab down properly. Now press and hold the test button until the unit beeps. This will make sure the unit functions on battery power. If the unit doesn't respond, open the battery compartment and make sure the battery is making good contact with the terminals. If the unit responds properly, plug it back in and relocate it on its base. Push and hold the test button again. Make sure ALL of the interconnected smoke alarms are responding as well. Move on to the next detector and repeat the process.

Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect