Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Our primary heat is from a stove. Our house is shaped like

Customer Question

Our primary heat is from a wood stove. Our house is shaped like an L, with two floors. My husband has this *idea* to cut a hole in the coldest room's wall (the upstairs bathroom) and run a 10" or 12" duct outside the house, to come into the kitchen, where the wood stove is. He wants to put an inline, variable-speed, electric fan in the duct. He says the duct wants to be on the large-diameter size to keep down air-flow noise. I'm worried about breaching the outer walls, or condensation making the fan freeze up, or who knows what else. Is he crazy, or could this work?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Even a well insulated outside duct would loose heat and the air would not be warm enough to heat the upstairs room. The fan would likely be louder than you would expect.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

There are several brands of radiator type electric heaters that are both safe and economical. They are thermoststically controlled and dont have a fan. They do not get hot enough to ignite anything but do a good job of taking the chill off a cold room.

This could be a good alternative to running duct work.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I will be glad to answer any questionscyou may have

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This is just a sample of heaters that are available