Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

What is RM3 Zoning
, I want to check out if a RM3

Customer Question
Customer: what is RM3 Zoning...
Customer: what is RM3 Zoning
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I want to check out if a RM3 building with now 2 units can be expanded to like 4 units in total in San Francisco.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/11/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor

The key word in RM3 Zoning is the number3

While lot size and physical conditions of the foundation

determine if a structure can be added on to the zoning code is not based on that.

Remodeling to add a third appartment could be acceotable provided the physical requirements of the lot and structure have been met.

Zoning codes and building codes are not the same . If the Zoning is RM3 you have to apply for a variance to add a third appartment. A meeting with the zoning board will answer a lot of questions. If there are already other 4 family units then your chances may br pretty good.

If you are the first then it may be harder to get a variance or possibly not at all.

The more information you can supply the zoning board the better. You could need working drawings (blue prints) and possibly an engineers report. A rendering of the finished project is often helpful.

All of that said it could also be as simple as filling out a form .

It basically depends on if you are the first to attempt a 4 family building in the area.

I will ve glad to answer any questions you may have.

Note: CORRECTION: the references to 3 and third in the answer should be 4.

While you are already zoned for three appartments you still need to meet the physical requirements to obtain a permit.

To add a fourth apartnent you have to meet the code and in addition apply for a variance.

This is a link you should find helpful.

Most zoning boards are willing to work with remodeling requests. A lot will depend on what already exists in the area

A telephone call can save a lot of time and can help you know what is needed for your application.

Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor