Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

My fireplace is on the side of my house. The chimney goes up

Customer Question

HI,
My fireplace is on the side of my house. The chimney goes up the exterior ofthe house. The ash vault below the firepit runs own along the exterior of the foundation down to the level of the basement floor. Unfortunatley, either because of a crack or poor waterproofing when the house was built in 1989, water is entering the vault. I have pumped it out on a few occasions but the water returns and is now seeping through the foundation wall/floor. Is there a way of sealing the inside of the vault without tearing the chimney down. Who would be best to consult about solving the problem? I appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This is a rather unusual request but there may be an alternative. Consult a chimney lining service that uses a cement based product not a stainless liner. When they line a chimney they insert a long inflatable tube then pour cement around the outside of the tube sealing and lining the chimney. The same approach with some modifications could work for you. You might have to open up the floor of the fire place but that's a lot less involved than tearing out the chimney. One other option would be to open up the block wall in the basement and seal any cracks with epoxy or urethane injection. Since you aren't sure what the cause is (may not be a cracked foundation) I'd look into the chimney liner approach first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. When you say chimney liner, are you referring to the chimney above the fire place. My problem is the vault below the firebox. Could there be a chimney liner option for the ash vault. Thanks again and I appreciate the quick response.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Yes chimney liners are above the firebox but the same technique might be modified for you purpose.