Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Help on evenly spacing balusters on porch rail...

Customer Question
help on evenly spacing balusters on porch rail...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/23/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

There are a number of calculators for determining spacing and how many balusters you need. Here's one of the better ones.
http://www.blocklayer.com/CentersLevelEng.aspx

Let me know if you need more help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok i have a 4x4 on each end and a baluster right beside the 4x4s as a starting place so then i measure the space i need to fill ...i understand up to that point, but when i get the spacing for each baluster from the calculator, where do i measure from and to to place the first one.

Just use the calculator I linked above. It gives you the layout with the center (or far or near side) measurement for each baluster. Measuring this way is a better way to lay them out rather than trying to figure out the spacing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

i see that, but do i measure from the left side of first baluster to begin? or center

The best (and I believe default) option for this calculator is far side. So you start your measuring with the edge of the post then the next dimension is the far side of the first baluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

so what edge of the post, the far left edge facing it or the right edge

The edge at the start of the run. So if you're working left to right it would be the right edge of the post. Left edge if you're working right to left.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok can i try this today and write back on results?

Sure, let me know how it works out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

rick

hi

i cannot seem to get this, forgive my ignorance, if i give you measurements could you walk me thorough just one?

If you want me to run the numbers I need the space you are going to fill and the width of the balusters. I'm going to assume a max spacing of 4"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

measurement is 63 and 3/4 inches from outside of first baluster to outside of last baluster

I need the width of the balusters and the dimension between the posts not the first and last baluster

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Width of baluster is 1 and 1/4 inch. Between post is 61 1/8 inch

I just realized I can't link you to the results so I try it 2 ways first the entry parameters if that doesn't work for you then I guess I'll have to list the measurements for each one. Here is the link again

First field>Length 61 1/8"
2nd field>Member width 1 1/4"

3rd field>member height (NA)

4th field> Angle (NA)

5th field> members = no ends

6th field> Max spaces = 4"

Calculate

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can put
In the numbers. Im asking you how far will the first baluster be from the starting point which is the right edge of the baluster that meets the post.

It's clearly illustrated in the layout below the calculator (scroll down if you missed it). As well as every subsequent baluster down the line.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I use the space in between for the initial measurement meaning right edge of first member to left edge of last member?

Yes, if by member you mean post.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

i got it thanks, ***** ***** on how i could figure the angle for my handrails, i see this calculator will do it, but i dont know the degree angle i have.

The easy way is with an electronic level that reads the angle but you probably don't have one so you can use a calculator. Here's one
https://www.easycalculation.com/trigonometry/triangle-angles.php

If that doesn't work for you there are many others online just google "calculate angles in right triangle".
To get the info you need you'll at least need a framing square. You put one leg of the square against the post at the bottom of your rail then read the dimensions on the triangle where the railing intersects each leg of the square.

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor