Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Is there a certified home inspector that I can ask a

Customer Question
question to on justanswer.com?...
Is there a certified home inspector that I can ask a question to on justanswer.com?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/19/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

What is your question?

When we closed on the purchase of a home 2 weeks ago, I went over that day and noticed that there was some droplets of water dripping down the back side of the house. This part of the house is the ground floor and it is cantilevered 3 feet out from the basement foundation and there is about 2 feet of space between that and the ground. It is where the kitchen sink is looking out over the backyard.
It hadn't recently rained, and the water in the home hadn't been used recently. There was also some 1" stiff insulation that was falling off of the bottom (because the surface it was attached to was moist).
Question is - should the home inspector have caught this? We have had a plumber out who got up there and found that it was a very slow leaking supply line to the kitchen sink - probably had been leaking about 6 months)Here is what the home inspector said:
During the inspection I observed at the location in question a piece of the rigid foam insulation board loose from the overhang. It was down about 1", just enough to expose the full north edge of the board. It wasn't hanging down like it was when I observed it on Monday the 16th. I noted that with minimal effort I was able to push the rigid insulation back into place and therefore I did not include this observation on my report and performed a quick repair at that time. In hindsight wish I had left the rigid insulation in the position found and recommended that it be repaired. At the time of the inspection I did not note any droplets of water there.Why wasn't this on the inspection report if things like a tiny hole in a screen or a doorstop missing were noted? A "quick repair" - it really sounds like he is making this up to cover his oversight. I doubt the droplets of water magically appeared a week later when the leak had been going on for months.We are several hundred dollars into this so far with just the discovery and repair of the pipe, and now there will need to be mold removal, and repair of the wood that was removed. Just wondering how we determine if he is responsible for not catching this or not?
The picture is what it looked like before the insulation was taken off and th e board under it removed to access the pipe

Your inspector should have looked further into this given the location under the sink. Since it was later discovered to be a leak from a water line your inspector obviously missed it since this type of leak doesn't suddenly stop then reappear given that a water line is under pressure all the time. Based on your description it's my opinion that the inspector should have seen this defect and reported it to you.

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor