Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have 6 smoke detectors in my house. Last night the smoke

Customer Question

I have 6 smoke detectors in my house. Last night the smoke detector went off for less than 10 seconds. All the green lilights are shown on the detectors. I can also see a red light periodically flashing on the detectors. I don't have any chirping sound
that show that one of the batteries might be weak. How do I determine which detector might need a battery replacement. Thanks bob. Raxe81@ bellsouth.net
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Bob ..........was it in the dead of night?.............by a kitchen while someone was cooking?.......if only one went off it probably means that all 6 are not wired electrically into one another......there is a test button to depress and test them.......it may have gotten just a wisp of smoke from somewhere, maybe even an oil fired burner.........it could mean that all you might have to do it take it down and blow it out with a compressed can of air (the same that is used on computer keyboards) and give it a good cleaning, replace the battery anyway and then replace the unit on the ceiling...........the red light flashing is a good thing it means that it is functional

eddie