Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I want to remove a light from a continuous circuit do I just…

I want to remove a...
I want to remove a light from a continuous circuit do I just connect the hot to the neutral to continue that circuit
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2015
Jason
Jason, Electrician

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Can you explain the situation in a little more detail? Do you have a light switch that controls the light in question? Will you be putting a blank cover over the light fixture box?

to both questions. There are three lights on a circuit with 1 switch I want to remove a light and just keep the others active on the switch I do intend to put a blank cover over that junction box

Thank you for the additional information. Have you opened the box at the fixture you want to remove yet? Are you able to post a photo of the wires in that box?

Thank you for posting the photo. You'll appreciate how simple this is. All you need to do is disconnect the fixture wires from the box wires, with the switch in the OFF position. Then, put the wire nuts back on the ends of the box wires, individually, capping them off so that no other wires can come into contact with them.

If the wire nuts don't want to stay on the box wires, you can cut away the stripped copper and let the wire nuts screw onto the insulation.

Just to confirm individually cap wires do not join wires at all

Yes, that's correct.

To join them would create a direct short and would trip the circuit breaker, possibly creating wiring problems as well.

Thank you very much for your promptness and taking of your time to answer my question it is much appreciated

Happy to help. I appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Jason
Jason, Electrician