Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a overhead door opener model 696CD/. The door works…

I have a overhead door...
I have a overhead door opener model 696CD/B. The door works fine. However the light no longer comes on. I used a multi-meter and found no voltage at the socket. I can hear an audible "click" when I press the separate light button on the hard wired wall control. I have the covers off and have not found a re-set (if there even is one). Any input?
10/16/2015
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Unfortunately, there are no resets inside openers for any of the components nor any fuses.

You have performed the troubleshooting very well and so it definitely is a problem within the opener.

If there is NO voltage, then the board is bad inside the opener and would have to be replaced. Since you hear the click the relay is most likely good, so the board has the issue itself.

You might open the back of the opener, and be sure the wires to the socket are still intact at the board, some plug into the board and others solder.

Quick check will verify that portion.

If wanted, we can find the boards availability and location to purchase with the make and model of the opener.

A much less expensive repair and one we use all the time for customers, is to get a motion sensor plug that will attach to the opener receptacle and light up when you pull the car
into the garage just like the opener would do.
The items needed are posted below to assist you in the correct equipment

Motion Sensor Plug---CLICK HERE

Bulb Socket---CLICK HERE

Let me know anything further needed,

Thanks

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Yup, didn't think it would be a quick/easy fix. I had already considered a motion detector. However instead of rigging it to sense a vehicle, I'll position it to detect the movement of the door. An addendum to my problem. Could I have caused this problem myself? Instead of the single incandescent bulb I used a "Y" socket adapter and screw-in receptacles to plug in 2, 4 bulb troffers (320 watts). I have had this configuration for several years with no ill symptoms

It is difficult to say if the extra wattage did cause the failure, but it certainly suspect.

The opener is rated for 100 watts maximum, so the extra current on the little relay could easily have caused the failure.

Time would have been the enemy, so to make several years was a very good performance with 3 times the maximum

Thanks for the rating, it is appreciated.

Check the wattage allowed for your new motion sensor also, the one I posted is maxed out at 100 watts as well.

The sensor I'll be using is one that is already in service in my backyard controlling 2, 150 watt halogen floods. I've been wanting to replace that high wattage one with an LED for some time now, but until now had no reason to replace it (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Thanks for your input.

Sounds like a very good plan, to me.