Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I spilled Clr on my concrete and now it's stained. Tried…

Customer Question
I spilled Clr on my...
I spilled Clr on my concrete and now it's stained. Tried a paste to absorb and power washing. It seems deep. .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
It seems I have the same question twice. I just want the 25 price. My account has 46
10/14/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Builder, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Builder
Builder, General Contractor

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will offer some information that may help, but first a little information is needed.

Concrete stains,, when they penetrate deeply can be a bear. However, CLR has a product that may help if the stain involves oil. CLR when spilled on or intentionally applied to oil will make a dark spot.

Is this the problem, or does the stain come from a CLR spill on clean concrete only?

Steve

It was spilled on clean concrete

OK. Unfortunately, I know of no way to completely remove such a stain, especially if it is deep into the concrete. Were it only a surface problem, high pressure power washing might help on a surface stain, but a deep stain can't be removed that way, because it takes the surface of the concrete off, or etches it, and the result is worse than the stain. Since it is not an oily stain, absorbent cures will not work. I am afraid that the only solution I can offer is long term weathering of the stain which might work to normalize the color difference. I had this problem with grass fertilizer stains ( the iron in it), and nothing worked but time and the elements. Now you can hardly see the specks of orange that were so prominent early on.

Unless you have other information that may figure in, that is my best answer. If you would like, I can opt out of this question and let another expert have a go at it. Otherwise, That is my answer.

Best regards,

Steve

Home Improvement Expert: Dovetail Greene, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good morning. My name's Kel. Steve's offered good advice. A few other options might be -- using a scouring machine. This uses stones of different roughness to remove the upper layer. Would hire a professional for this. A lot of material will need to be removed to get below the stain. Is the stain in a location where the refinish could be turned into a decorative element? If you make the refinished area larger than the stain can it appear to be decorative? Another words making the repair a,square or circle so it looks intended rather than accidental. Could also use a concrete stain to conceal it. Could also use an epoxy finish to conceal. Does this make sense? Have I answered your question?