Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Why does the garage door remote hesitate and not close all

Customer Question

Why does the garage door remote hesitate and not close all the way. I have lined up the green light beams already.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Can you elaborate on the situation please.

What exactly takes place when you press the remote button to open and close?

What takes place when you press the wall button?

Need complete sequence of events.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The remotes (3) do not all function the same. The wall unit is the only one which will open and close the door consistently. That unit will only close when the button is held in or the door will hesitate and stop or go back up/

OK,

So, is this the sequence?

When you push a remote button, the door will start to close and stop and reverse?

When you push the wall button, it does the same start to close and reverse?

But if you push and hold the wall button the entire time until the door reaches the floor, then release, the door stays shut?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is no help. I do not want to be charged anything and will call a serviceman. You told me exactly what I told you was happening.

I do not understand,!

I am here to assist you.

You did not answer my questions in the first posting, so I had to post an answer myself as to what I thought was happening, so you could verify.

So, I just now have the information,

Are you needing the assistance to get it going now and save the cost, or would prefer an on site call?

Let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My computer is now stuck on our server with password ***** registering. I cannot exit your internet email

I will have to opt out of the question, sorry having no phone available at this time'

Wait for the next expert to post.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, try cranking the door closed the last foot or two of the way, to see and feel whether there is a resisting spot in the door mechanism that might be really severely resisting the closing of the door.

Then if it closes OK and without much resistance, I would advise that you look on the opener, for a dial labeled 'Strength' or 'Force', and turn it up one or two points higher. Often a door has a little rougher spot in it that resists closing more, and that causes a door opener that is aging, to sense resistance and refuse to close (unless the CLOSE button is held down, of course.) If the rougher spot in the closing is not too rough (-if it is, of course, you need to fix the rough spot, remove resistance, remedy bent parts or other problems, or even call a repair person just for the rough spot in the door/track/etc. mechanism...)... then this should cure it.