Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Painting question: I have a box trailer that we carry…

Painting question: I have a...

Painting question: I have a box trailer that we carry dead deer top the processor in, then wash it out. The floor and sides are plywood. What type of Paint would you recommend and how would you apply it.

And caulk

10/10/2015
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your best bet is an epoxy paint. The link below is one option but it may be more paint than you need. Your best options to source this type of paint is a local paint store (not a big box store) or a boat/marine supply store. Like the one linked below most of these paints can be brushed, rolled or sprayed on. Beyond that you must carefully follow the surface prep instructions. Epoxy paints made for garage floors are probably not suitable since they are formulated to bond to concrete not wood.

Epoxy paint

What about sealing between the joints of plywood and the sides?

Use a good quality adhesive caulk like Phenoseal or Poly seamseal. Caulk first then paint over it

How about Lexel?

http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/

I'm not familiar with this product but it looks suitable

is the epoxy paint going to be slippery when wet?

No more so than any other gloss paint. If traction is a concern you can add grit to the paint. If you can't source any grit you can used washed sand (bagged sand box sand will do the job)

Rick
Rick, General Contractor