Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Do I need to have a builder's license in order to pull

Customer Question
permits for a house I...
Do I need to have a builder's license in order to pull permits for a house I am having built in Michigan? It is a business my wife and I run which is a residential treatment program for boys who are victims of abuse and neglect.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/7/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor

Permits for repairs and remodeling are not usually treated like permits for new construction which more often than not require a license. There are exceptions in some counties and municipalities.

Depending on the scope of the project homeowners

Homeowners / owners of the building are allowed to pull permits.

For a new house proof of the involvement of a licensed builder is usually required . A complete signed contract with a licensed builder is usuallly all that is needed.

If your work is being performed by volunteers a licensed contractors involvement is needed. They help assure that codes are met so the structure will pass inspections. A letter releasing the licensed party from responsibility of warranty work makes it easier to find one who will work with you. As I stated earlier there are exceptions and a visit to your local permit office will be where the decision will be made as theirs is the final authority. Things like your construction experience

may be considered and are definitely worth mentioning. Also stateing your future intentions for the structure and its use.

Because of the variables involved a straight yes/ no answer will be something that can only be given by your local authorities. However I think you should be able to get a permit without a whole lot of trouble either way they require you to go.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.