Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

This relates to my Invacare mobility scooter Lynx L-3 which…

This relates to my Invacare...
This relates to my Invacare mobility scooter Lynx L-3 which keeps "lurching" when I stop. It was supposedly "fixed" by a place in the area that I moved. I am not impressed and now they are telling me that it is "electrical"…..I don't believe them and I
am very unhappy with this. I have used this model of scooter for several years and this is my fourth scooter. Something is not right.
Answered in 1 day by:
10/8/2015
MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Handyman

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your scooter?

Also, please describe the exactly what it does and when it happens so I can help.

Thank You,

Michael

Niue I am estimating that this scooter could be as old as 3 -4 years. When I stop and release the "throttle". The whole scooter lurches and jerks roughly to a stop. I am using my scooter much more now than I was as I moved and now have to "walk" my dog (as opposed to letting him out in a fenced yard). I realize the scooter is getting old but I love this model. There is foot room on both sides of the (don't know what it is called) post that comes up. Realize Invacare discontinued this model but found source on Internet and will buy another one.
Have no idea what that first word is supposed to be....autocorrect!

Thank you I feel for you really.

This problem could be either the throttle itself but almost always this is the control board that actually commands the motors. I have been fixing these for customers for years through Pride Mobility. Every time this happened the repair that the units needed was a new control board.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, If you can get a new board, I will help you with the replacement if you can do this, its pretty easy and only requires a few basic hand tools and no soldering;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael

MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Handyman
They just repaired the throttle as this was my previous complaint as it was lurching. I will check on whether they did control board.....for $375 they should have rebuilt the whole thing! I will see if I can find the receipt"
They replaced the throttle pot and the speed pot. Not control board. They are the only place in town and I am living alone in an apartment in a "senior" apartment. Don't know how I would be able to replace it myself but I do have a friend who might be able to do it. She replaced the12 amp batteries with 15 amp ones….I have a lot of driving on an incline to walk the dog.
You said that replacing the control board is easy? About how much do they cost? Would it be cheaper just to buy a new one?

Thanks, ***** ***** replace the pot, did that solve the problem temporarily?

No, not really. What is a pot?

The battery replacement was a great idea and not an issue that would only help the situation and I'm glad you mentioned that as I know now that the batteries aren't the likely problem.

This sure sounds like the new part they replaced is actually defective.

I would replace that again.

which one?

the pot assembly

joystick

not just the handle but the board it is attached to

It just plugs in so its easy to do;-)

can this be done by me? They kept my scooter, gave me an awful rental…had uncontrolled surging! Both parts were over $100 each. There is no joystick.
Just the two sides of the throttle to go forward and back
I paid a lot of money for awful work and then being treated like an idiot when I said it wasn't right. I am not and idiot. Semi-retired attorney who is pretty smart.
an" not "and" Also, former English teacher
Please tell me what to order and where to find instructions to replace. Do you know approximate cost of what I need?
Oh, and where to order.

You can do this but depending on your disability maybe it would be best to have someone else do it for you but it is easy to do.

All you will need to do is remove the cover and remove the board and unplug it and and replace it. Thats all there is to it.

The best place to try for this since this one is discontinued is :

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/mobility.html

Or as I would do call them as they do not list all parts on site.

call:(###) ###-####

Let me know if they have the control you need, if not I have other sites but these guys would be the best if they still have one for you.

Thank you and have a great day!

Tech Michael

Okay, what cover? Yes, will have friend do it, but don't know where I am looking. Front? Back?
what am I ordering? New control board? Pot assembly?

Hi you will need the pot assembly that is the joystick assembly the reason its called a pot assembly is because the parts on the joystick are connected to potentiometers POT for short.

The control stick you use that entire part is the pot assembly it plugs in, yours may have a cover if not you simply remove the entire thing and that is done by taking out the screws that afix it to the frame of your chair;-)

Affix

Michael, this isn't a chair. This is scooter with thing that comes up with handlebars.....can't figure out what you mean. No screws that I can see.

Hi Sorry I meant scooter, I seem to call them all chairs as they really are in the same category.

You need to look really well to find how it is attached, once you remove that you can replace it. I would recommend for many reasons that you have the new one as they are self explanatory once you see it before it is connected and attached. You will see the holes where it attaches. Also its always a good Idea to take a pic or two before you remove the part so you know exactly how it all goes together.

Tech Michael

Ok but again, I am ordering the pot assembly? Does this include the control board?

Hi no it does not. The pot assembly is an interdependent part.

The pot assembly connects to the control board;-)

From your symptom description I would suspect the pot assembly especially since it seemed to fail after that part was replaced. If you are still confused at all, please request a phone call, I will call you and we can speak about this until this is fixed.

Thank you

Tech Michael

I am lost as to what to do. Don't know where to look. The handlebar piece?

Hi as I said I wouldn't remove anything until you have the new one ans that will make it apparent to you if you would like you can send me some pics on here and I ma be able to guide you but if you remove it now you may not be able to use the scooter if anything gets damaged during this process.

As there are different ones that can be used on this scooter.

Thanks Tech Mike

Okay. Makes sense. So I order pot assembly first. Right? Thanks forhelp

yep ;-)

Even I would do that especially if I never did one before.

It really is easier once you can actually see it and in your hands.

Tech Mike