Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I bought my home 3 yrs back and that time, my previous home

Customer Question

I bought my home 3 yrs back and that time , my previous home owner told that they just got new battery changed in garage keyless pad outside the garage door . My keyless pad is working fine since then and i use the pad buttons for garage operation once per day only as i have wireless garage remote in my car to use for opening & closing garage door . Now , i want to clarify the below in regard with change of battery :
(1) After how much time , i should change the battery in keyless pad outside garage ?
(2) My previous home owner also gave me two wireless garage remotes and whats appropriate period of time to change their batteries ?
(3) From some days , i am watching that the bulb (in garage door opener unit installed high up there) keeps fluctuating or on - off -on-off whenever i open the garage door . Why is it so or the bulb has gotten loose because the garage door system is working very fine as before ?
(4) I know that if i change the coin battery in wireless garage remote (which i have in my car) , it does not interfere with code and works very fine as before after the change of battery as i did once 1 year back . Now , my question is - if i change 9 Volt battery in keyless pad (installed outside the garage door on which i use the five digit code to open or close the garage door when i dont have wireless remote) , will it delete all the setting of existing code or will i need to set the code again or there will be no change in code setting if i just change the battery ?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

1. Based on your use, the battery in the keypad would probably last around 2-3 years. It should indicate when it needs changed.

2. The battery in the remote could last up to 5 years, depending on how much use it gets. Replace it when the signal starts to weaken.

3. If it is a fluorescent light then the starter may need replacing.

4. If you change the battery very quickly (within 20-30 seconds) there should be enough residual power in the keypad to retain the settings during that time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answer . Please clarify :

(1) Which type of battery should I use to replace in keyless pad outside garage because it is my first time after buying home 3 yrs back ?

( Today , I just unscrewed the battery compartment on the pad to just see which type of battery is there and found it is GOLDEN POWER 9 V HEAVY DUTY Battery all what I saw and I just screwed it again without doing anything in a fear of losing setting .)

(2) I live in MN State where it is too cold and snowy out for 6 months , so do I need to use any special type of 9V battery to put in keyless pad out there ?

(3) I went online to shop same one battery (Golden Power 9 V Heavy Duty) but it looks it is not in market or can you guide me where to buy one piece of this battery ?

(4) What is the difference between alkaline , lithium and heavy duty battery ? When which one should be used ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

waiting for reply .....................

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

1. Alkaline 9V battery.

2. No.

3. You can use any similar 9V battery, e.g. Duracell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , going to accept your answer with Excellent . .........

My query # ***** above is still unanswered .

Is it ok to use alkaline energizer 9V battery in my Garage Keyless Pad and will it be ok in harsh winter & hot weather season outside garage ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still waiting for complete answer..........................