Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have an Ultra List 800 model. first, the motor works, the

Customer Question
Hi Eric, I have an Ultra...
Hi Eric,
I have an Ultra List 800 model.
first, the motor works, the worm rotates.
second, the door does not move at all when it's closed; the door moves just about two feet and then moves back to the motor box.
I can manually close/open the door, but it's heavy;
the door does not stay between 100% close and 100% open when at manual mode
appreciate your advise,
heinz
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/11/2015
Home Improvement Expert: AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The door should not be heavy if the trolley is disconnected from the screw drive.

That is an indication of bad springs on the door.

Garage doors should be able to be lifted and opened with one hand in most cases, as the springs do all the work, the opener is only a guide with a small amount of torque to get the door moving.

Check your springs to see if ALL coils are together and the springs are TIGHT when the door is closed.

There should be NO slack in the springs when the door is closed.

If your door has the springs right above the door opening, those can sometimes break also and sometimes not noticeable without a close inspection.

Post pictures of the springs for further review if you wish.

Should be sufficient enough to see what the condition.

Let me know how it goes,

Thanks

Tommy,
I have inspected the two springs, coil by coil, turn by turn, and have not found any crack or damage. I am attaching four pictures, two for the left and two for the right.I have also checked the cables, they looks ok.The other issue i have: when i push the button, the trolley moves about two feets and then reverse back, the door does nit mive when it closed; door does move with for the two feet back and forth. I am also attacing a video clip if that helps you.
The door does move with for the two feet when it is at open state
This site diesn't take my video clip made with my iphone

Ok, thanks.

The torsion springs are harder to determine if something is wrong with pictures, because of their design.

Do the springs unwind when you raise the door by hand?

You stated it was heavy, so it sounds like one is broken possibly, the wind up and down with the door.

But first. I am not quite sure of the problem as I see different information on its movement, so lets clear that up.

If the door is open all the way. it will move 2 feet towards closed and then reopen, is that correct?

And if the door is closed, it will not move at all, is that correct?

Just need to know the exact issues of both open and closing.

If it will not open the door when closed, how do you get it closed to test?

Did you disconnect the door trolley and then it will open and close normally?

If it doesnt open the door at all, what happens? Does it site groaning forever until the motor overheats?

The exact sequence of events helps to determine, there can be many different issues, and they will not be related in

some situations.

Videos can sometimes be too large, the site limits the file sizes.

You can use free share sites if you have one you have used in the past.

Let me know,

Thanks

Tommy,The sequence:
1. Close the door 100% manulally
2. Push the button with auto mode
3. The motor responds, and the trooley and carrier move
A foot or two, then reverses
4. Change to manaul mode
5. Open the door by hand to 100% open
6. Change to auto mode
7 push the button
8. The trolley and the carrier moves a foot or two, then move back with the doorI have adjusted the spring by 3/4 turn, the spring works fine.So the problem is that the motor, so the trolley/carrier/door can only move partially what it is open; the door does not move when it is closed.Thanks.
Heinz

Ok, thanks.

From the information posted, this is what i am understanding.

Since an opener has no auto-manual mode, I am assuming you mean you are disconnecting the door from the trolley system, correct? (your auto mode is attached and manual mode is disconnected)

Then you manually open the door and re-attach to the opener trolley and attempt to close the door, correct.

The door being attached moves a foot or two and reverses.

Then, you again disconnect the door from the trolley and manually close the door. You then press the button to make the trolley go to the close position and it moves the foot or two and then reverses, correct?

If that is all correct above, the opener will not close either attached tot he door or not.

Making the situation a close only one, as we have no idea if it will open or not because it must first travel all the way to the close position for an attempt to open. That cannot be accomplished.

First do this:

With the door opened manually and the attached to the opener trolley, push the wall button to close the door and HOLD the wall button the entire time to see if it will go closed and ONLY release the button if the door touches the floor or if the door reverses.

Let me know the results

Thanks

I did not mean i request a phone call, it is a mistake. Do not call me.
Your understanding is correct. When the door is at the full open, push the button on the wall or on the remote control returns the same: move a foot foreward and then move back. I think i have that info in my previous update.I do not see how this is going to help. I am calling a contractor to replace my opener entirely. Thank you for the conversation. I don't think i need to pay anything since there has been no help. Please let me know if you disagree.
Thanks,
Heinz

If you performed the test asked, we would have the answer most likely and then it is an easy fix.

That is why the exact sequence with openers is so critical.

Do this test as it was posted earlier:

First do this:

With the door opened manually and then attached to the opener trolley, push the wall button to close the door and HOLD the wall button the entire time to see if it will go closed and ONLY release the button if the door touches the floor or if the door reverses.

Let me know the results

If this works it is a simple repair.

No that doesn't work. Pushing and hold the button, the trolley so the door goes forward and backward one cycle, not close the door no matter how long you hold the button!

Ok, thanks.

Problem will either be in the limit switch or the rpm sensor, one or the other.

Takes a little more work with those to find which it is, but if you wish to try

let me know.

Thanks

Tommy,I want to try. Do you mean the two adjust dials in the opener box back with the limit switch ? And where is the rpm sensor located?Thanks,
Heinz

Ok,

The limits are set with the Screw type dials and should be seen on the opener outside case

Should be 2 sets, one set for FORCE and one set for LIMIT

There will be one screw on each for closing.

You can try to use the Force screw first.

ONLY MAKE a very slight adjustment at any one time, only a screwdriver slot of movement.

Turn the Close Force Clockwise one screwdriver slot width at a time and test. Do not go over 1/4 turn total if there is no difference.

The RPM sensor is mounted on the rear of the motor and has a wheel that rotates through a special board cutout that watches the rotation.

The problem will be, that a replacement RPM sensor are most likely not available, so checking the wires and tightness is about all you can do with the sensor.

We can try to locate one if lucky, will see if I can find any online.

Also, while inside looking at the sensor, look at your gears

If plastic, they may be worn to a point it is causing undue force and tripping the switch.

You will see plastic in the bottom when you remove the back cover to access inside,

Let see what you find

Tommy,
There are two dials; up limit sdjustment and down limit adjustmen.
I can find any otherthing on the back.Turning the two dials does not have any effect on the movement of the trolly/carrier/door.Unless we have a repair manual i do not think i can fix.
Thanks,
Heinz

Ok,

Those are not the ones I posted to use, those are for the distance of travel not the force it requires.

Using the open and close limits will change the entire travel.

There are no actual repair manuals for any garage door opener, it is all done by setting it up with the limit switches and the photo eyes.

There should be 2 more adjustments screws for Force, dont know why they are not visible somewhere on the opener.

They set the strength of the opener to overcome restrictions.

I do not know how should i rate your answers. Your response is in time and detials, but i do not feel i have been helped. The problem still exists as bad as before. It may be a complicated case that does not suit a remote troubleshooting.
I already ordered a new opener to replace the broken one.
How much compensation do you expect?
Thanks

Work here is up to the customer.

You made the deposit to cover all costs on the question, rating makes no change,

Experts are compensated by the site out of that deposit.

If you do not wish to rate, then it is not necessary and I can send to customer service for a full refund of your deposit.

Sometimes, it is a long process of troubleshooting when a tech is not on site to see and evaluate the situation.

Thanks

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist