Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My daughter 21 years old, is living in a house where she

Customer Question

My daughter 21 years old, is living in a house where she constantly gets headaches in her room. This is a house in Gainesville Florida. We bought new bedroom furniture at the same time of moving in. Its an old house. We had the air tested for bacteria
and mold and the air test checked out ok. What are your thoughts on this. Can it be asbestos, famalgicide, insulation, or any other type of chemical that this might be happening from. Should I be doing any other testing in the room. Please advise, Thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

Well there are different possible explanations. How long has this been a problem for her? Some headeaches such as may occur with a sinus infection may occur more with LYING DOWN >> so it may be position vs the rooom as a trigger >>??

Her neck position may be a trigger so if she sleeps say with two pillows then this may cause an awkward neck position and this may be a trigger for headaches.

Mold exposures may at times be a trigger for headaches (this seems less likely with the testing that you had done)

Chemical fumes such as formaldehyde can be a trigger for some (asbestos I would think very unlikely >> this insulation material would have been cleared out long ago in most dwellings but headaches would not be an expected presentation for this really either.. )

What type headaches does she have ( sharp pain, shooting pain,throbbing in quality, steady ache??) and where does her head hurt? front to back ? one side? cheeks? eyes? these details would be helpful...

Has she seen a doctor for her headaches? This would be probably helpful if she has not yet taken that step..

I hope that this information is helpful . Let me know if you have further details or questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bray,Thank you for your prompt response. My daughter did see an ENT on Sept. 2nd. He prescribed Augmentin for 18 days 2x. Also Predisone - 5 days. She does not sleep with her head elevated at all. She is expericening headaches in the temple area, under her eyebrows (frontal). Also they are steady, sharp sometimes. Also she said sometimes they are in the back of her head. Her checks, ears and teeth hurt, (which is common wiht sinus infections).Attached is the report on their findings from the Mold contractor. She feels very unsteady only when she enters this room. We are very puzzled by this situation. We purchased new furniture the same day she moved in after it was painted. Could it be the furniture? Or do you think she is sentitive to something in the room? Do you think we should do any further testing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,
BobAttached Report

Hello again,

OK it sounds that she has been diagnosed with a sinus infection and that would make sense aas to her cause of the headaches. The distribution of pain fits and the sinus infection would tend to hurt more with lying down so I think that may be more the situation rather than any reaction to anything in the bedroom. I see that her mold counts inside are a fraction of those outside so this would not seem likely to be her source.

I think that the antibiotic may benefit for her to ALSO try MUCINEX D BEHIND the COUNTER at pharmacy >> you have to ask for it but it does not need prescription... this may help to open up the sinuses and promote drainage..

I think that her finishing the antibiotic course and may need follow up with her ENT to judge the effectiveness of her antibiotic course . At times it may take more than one round of antibiotic course to clear a sinus infection. A sinus CT may be considered if hers is a difficult or stubborn case..

I hope that this is helpful for you! I hope that she feels better soon! Let me know if I may be of further help! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD