Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I have an unfinished and unconditioned garage. I want to put

Customer Question

I have an unfinished and unconditioned garage. I want to put insulation in the attic of garage. Presently there is no existing insulation in the space. I want to put down faced R-38 faced insulation. Which side is correct in my case? Faced side down toward garage space or faced side up toward roof?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.

Hi. The faced side goes to the heated living space direction, down in your case. If you would eventually decide to add more insulation, use unfaced insulation so that the humidity don't get trapped between the two insulation installation. The faced layer is an humidity barrier to prevent water accumulation and mold in the insulation and that humidity goes from the hot inside to the colder outside.