Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I just tiled my living and dining room with porcelain look

Customer Question

I just tiled my living and dining room with porcelain wood look tile. I have a 1/8 inch grout line that I would like to seal. The grout that was used was a sanded a light color grout. What are your thoughts on the best sealer to use. The tiles are 6 inch
by 36 inch. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Bob***@******.***
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

My thoughts on grout sealer are that it's a complete waste of money. It really doesn't do anything other than create a profit center for tile product suppliers. It won't stop the lines from darkening up since that's entirely due to dirt. And it won't effectively prevent stains. We've been installing tile on our jobs for over 50 years and we never use sealer and we've never had a complaint.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if you have more questions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rick....thanks for the info.....one thing I would like to mention...I have a little dog that can have an accident once in a while. IIf don't seal the grout....what is the best way to clean his accident if it gets into the grout. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

The grout is going to get dirty. However that happens the easiest way to get it back to it's original light color is to use gel type toilet bowl cleaner with bleach. You squirt it on the lines let it set for 15+ minutes then wash it off.