Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My garage door will not open properly. One sensor is and one

Customer Question
My garage door will not...
My garage door will not open properly. One sensor is green and one is yellow.
Is that the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2015
Home Improvement Expert: AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Can you provide some more detail on the situation?

1. The door does not open all the way? Partial? No movement?

2. Is this with the wall button? Or remotes? Or both?

3. Does it close properly?

4. Does it act the same if the door is disconnected from the opener?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

The door only opens a small amount with both the remote and the wall button. If I click it again, it will close and then open the same small amount.I moved the yellow sensor so it was pointing away and the door incrementally will open about 8 inches and then the door will stop. It makes the same clicking noise and the light flashes, as when there is something blocking the door. I can do this repeatedly until the door is all of the way open. Then the door closes properly if I click the button.Not sure about your last question... if the door is disconnected from the opener?

Ok, thanks for the details.

First, on the door disconnected question:

Pull the emergency release on the opener trolley and that will allow for manual operation of the door by hand.

You can then push the button and see if the opener trolley runs all the way open or not with the actual door disconnected.

This helps to determine any mechanical problems.

Since the door closes fine, your issue has nothing to do with the safety eyes, they have no function with opening a door, with the exception that they must be installed.

What is the make and model of the opener?

The light flashes may serve as an indicator, so how many flashes?

Thanks

It is a Chamberlain Liftmaster Professional 1/2 HP. The opener trolley runs all the way open with the door disconnected. The light blinks 10 times.

Ok, thanks.

If you can look on the opener, you will find a nameplate label either on the front end or the back, maybe even both.

Get the MODEL number off the plate.

There are a dozen or so models that are Liftmaster Professional 1/2 HP.

Thanks

FCC ID: HBW1241IC-2666A(###) ###-####Part NO:
41A5389-ID

Ok, appreciate the information, although none of those are the Model of the opener.

Probably on another nameplate not yet seen.

But, based on the logic board number lets try one adjustment first.

On the rear of the opener, you will find a small learn button.

To the left of it, there will be 2 small screwdriver slotted screws for adjustments.

The one on the left, is for UP force.

I believe the issue may be that the door requires a little more force to keep moving.

Having the door closed. turn that screw approx 1/5 of a turn, no more.

Then try the open command and see if it is any better.

If it moves further, then adjust that amount once more.

If nothing changes, try that amount again also.

See if you see any change at all on the adjustments and only adjust for 1/2 a complete turn total and if nothing changes, hold off.

I will then need the exact Model number, it will be shown in its own are with M or MOD or MODEL.

Thanks

Yay! That did it!!! Thank you so much. :)

Excellent, always like the good news.

You are most welcome, glad to assist on the situation.

AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist