Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I would like to ask a question about an outside

Customer Question

Hello , I would like to ask a question about an outside storage closet attached to the house. About 10 years ago we expanded our deck and added a storage closet . My contractor added the closet but I feel he did a pretty hasty and crappy job. We live in
Alabama where there is very high humidity. He added an interior door to the entrance which was a right hand reverse door which limited our space not to mention that the door has rotted out about two feet. The other thing is that he used a normal sheetrock
inside and the bottom near the base molding is buckling. Now this all could have happened when the door began to rot and more water began to creep in. We are in the process of refinishing our pool and I am in the process of correcting those mistakes. Once
I get a proper exterior door in , how should I tackle the sheetrock issue , could it be as simple as fixing the bubble and repainting the inside with a quality oil based primmer and paint . or do i need to do something drastic and change out the sheetrock
for green board? I mean it really is just a utility closet. Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Given your description of the workmanship I suspect there weren't enough screws used to secure the wallboard. No need for "green board" since this isn't a wet environment like a bathroom (the high humidity shouldn't be an issue).