How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 21544
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The wood support under a bath tub in an old apt building has

Customer Question

The wood support under a bath tub in an old apt building has rotted. How shall I repair it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
What wood support? the floor? the ledger board supporting the long side of the tub at the wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the ledger board is rotten
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Your best bet short of removing the tub is to open up the wall on the back side of the tub enclosure then cut 2 2 x 4 legs and wedge them between the bottom plate of the partition and the under side of the tub ledge. Screw them to the first stud in from each end of the tub. Only ~1" of the block needs to be under the ledge. Of course you'll need to cut out a piece of the old ledger to get them in.