Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

We just renovated a ranch home, all the sheet rock has been replaced. In our living room I

Customer Question

We just renovated a ranch home, all the sheet rock has been replaced. In our living room I noticed the seams/tape where the pieces of sheet rock meets, also looks like the sheet rock is starting to bow.
I haven't noticed this before so I'm concerned that it has to do with a structural issue to the home. The sheet rock was installed in April. Also, we took down a load bearing wall and installed 3 lvl beams based on an architect's design. My wife thinks it was always there we just didn't notice it because we weren't living there during the renovation and now we see it because of the lighting.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
What is your question? I can't advise you on a structural issue without an onsite inspection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would be causing the seams to start to show/bow? Is there anything I can do to make sure it's not a structural issue? Is there a way to fix the seams?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
It's possible the bowing is due to a poor sheet rock installation. The fact that you can see the joints is an indication of poor quality workmanship. The seams can be redone. I can't give you a definitive answer about the bowing without an onsite inspection (which is not possible) but have you checked to see if the sheets are pulling away from the studs? or are they still firmly attached to the studs? if you push on the bowed areas is there any give in the sheet? It's also possible your wife is right and this was something that was there all along. I really can't tell anything based solely on your description. Where is the bowing in relation to the new beams?