Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I'm replacing an old pool pump. New pump motor includes Read more: h

Customer Question

I'm replacing an old pool pump. New pump motor includes a grounding screw and states that it must be grounded. However, the 230V power service line includes only the 2 hot wires with no ground wire. Power initially goes into a timer box (which has an unused grounding screw) then goes to a standard on/off switch before connecting to the pump motor.
I can easily push a ground wire through the flexible conduit that runs between switch and motor, but where can I connect it to achieve the ground?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your pump, working together I hope we can figure the problem out for you.I see your question has been hanging out on the board for awhile, so I will give it my best effort to help you.I have a very busy afternoon and will be in and out today, but I will be checking in on our chat.If you could send a couple of photos of your setup it would help alot.If you have a metal conduit, it can act as a ground if it goes all the way back to the power panel. otherwise, you can do as you said run a green ground wire back to the closest ground source. But I will have to see what you have. You can use the paper clip function in this chat to upload a photo or you can use an online photo share program like photobucket.com and upload them to that site and give me the link to the pictures. Photobucket is a very handy site to have in your tool box.I will be watching for your reply and thanks for your understanding.If the timing is not satisfactory to you , just let me know and I will re-list your question for someone else to pick up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a way to take/post pictures. The set-up is pretty straight-forward: 230 2-wire service comes out of the concrete pad in metal conduit.....attaching to timer inside the metal timer-box, no ground wire.....2 hot wires come off the timer through short metal conduit to the on/off switch. It's an old switch, doesn't have a grounding connector that I can see. From the switch 2 wires enter a flexible conduit and connect to the pump which is set-up for 230V and includes a grounding screw.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would qualify as the "closest grounding source"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Don, I can't wait any longer.....I'm under severe time constraint so will look elsewhere for an answer. Please refund my payment. Thank you.