Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My keypad remote will not open the door, even though the remotes

Customer Question
in the cars and the...
My keypad remote will not open the door, even though the remotes in the cars and the one near the door to the house work fine. I actually bought a new keypad, but it won't "learn" the code. ......the lights on the key pad work, and the battery is new. I have gone through all the steps many times, and everything does what it is supposed to do up until the light bulb is supposed to blink, and it does not blink. I would think it is a bad antenna wire, but the car remotes work the door from at least 75 feet away from the door. What should I try now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 day by:
7/5/2015
Home Improvement Expert: AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Need some more details to the situation.1. Make and Model of the opener?2. Make and Model of the new Keypad?3. There are only 2 remotes being used at this time also, is that correct?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Craftsman model # *****
Craftsman model #9_3050
Yes, 2 remote plus the wall mounted one by the door to the house
Ok, thanks for the added information.Now, when you are attempting to add the Keypad, are you getting through the steps at all?In other words, getting confirmation when each action is done?As an example:Press and holdthe * and #buttons untilthe lights on thekeypad stopblinkingDo you get confirmation and lights stop blinking?All other steps giving their respective confirmations? Thanks
Lights stop blinking, and then when I enter the 4-digit number and press enter, light bulb does not blink, and it is a good bulb, So in other words, the keypad and opener unit are not "learning" my code.
I forgot to enter phone# it is 219---462-8071
Try the original process for the opener one time below:1.Press and release the "learn"button on motor unit. The learnindicator light will glow steadilyfor 30 seconds.2. Within 30 seconds, enter a fourdigit personal identificationnumber (PIN) of your choice onthe keypad• Then press andhold the ENTER button3. Release the button when themotor unit lights blink. It haslearned the code. If light bulbsare not installed, two clicks willbe heard If it doesn't take then, the only option is to ERASE all remotes and start with the keypad to re-learn them to the opener. The only problem with this is, if the logic board is bad, you will nt get anything back into the openers memory.It is rare, but it is possible for it to retain memory but at the same time, be unable to receive anything new to memory. So, after the attempt above, post back results and whether you wish to proceed with the a complete wipe and installation of all remotes and keypad and the steps can be posted.
Same as before--I did exactly what you told me, but when I pressed enter, .the light bulb did not blink. Instead, the lights on the keypad started blinking.
Ok, let me be sure I understand correctly.When you HOLD the enter button, never letting go, the Keypad begins to blink?This is EXACTLY the same as the your first attempt with the Keypads instructions? Or different?If so, are you standing underneath the opener with the keypad? If not, you need to be right at the opener, never mount a keypad until programmed.
Where is this headed? If I proceed with the erase, will the remotes still work? And if they do not and we decide the main unit is ruined, am I liable to buy a whole new unit? Yes, it is the same, and I was on a ladder right next to the unit.
With openers, there is no guarantee that all will be well once erased when there are issues with programming.But the odds are in favor with about a 90% plus rate that all will work.So, 10% chance of nothing but the wall button afterwards because of a bad logic board.
We will do nothing and just get along, as we have been for over a year, without a keypad. we will still have the car remotes, and if we take the dog for a walk, we will take a car remote with us. We are not ready to spend the money for a whole new unit and have to install it. Thanks for your suggestions, etc., and I do recognize that you did your best and deserve the $18. Thanks.
Ok,Odds are in your favor, should you decide.The sequence would be below if you change your mind.Print it out and save it for later.Wish it was 100%, but with electronics, there are unknowns.To deactivate any unwantedremote, first erase all codes:Press and hold the "learn" buttonon motor unit until the learnindicator light goes out(approximately 6 seconds). All previous codes arenow erased. Now, start with the Keypad and use the instructions that came with the Keypad.See if you can get it to learn it first before any remotes. For the remotes, use the below sequence:1. Press and release the "learn"button on the motor unit. Thelearn indicator light will glowsteadily for 30 seconds.2. Within 30 seconds, press andhold the button on the hand-held remote* that you wish tooperate your garage door.3. Release the button when themotor unit lights blink. It haslearned the code. If light bulbsare not installed, two clicks willbe heard.Be sure and always complete the sequence within the 30 second period, or else it will notLearn and you must start over9 out of 10 times, there are no problems
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist