Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Need independent roofing expert advice zip code 91307

Customer Question
Need independent roofing expert advice...
Need independent roofing expert advice for my zip code 91307
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Anybody there?
6/27/2015
Home Improvement Expert: BuilderNorb, General Contractor replied 3 years ago
BuilderNorb
BuilderNorb, General Contractor
Please let us know what advice you are seeking, what is your question?
I'm planning to get bids on a new roof within the next 60 to 90 days, zip code 91307. From surfing the web I can find no real reason why theoretical costs vary so much. I'm 74 years old, the house is 47 years old, I have no dependents or descendents. Figures include '30-year' roofs(what do I need for such longevity at my age?). Can I have a new roof applied over the old one(preserving an extra layer)? What, exactly, should I look for in obtaining bids under these circumstances? May I have your initial, prelimimnary opinions? Please reply on this service.
Hi, I'd like to help you with your questions. From reading your reply, I am understanding you have been asking around for different "ballpark" estimates. Differences occur depending on factors such as distance, time, reliability, knowledge and experience. That is why those costs swing so much.
Having dependents or descendants to pass the house to or not, you still need to consider the difference in costs, if any, insurers will reduce your monthly premiums if you use a particular type of roofing, as compared to, say, a 20yr shingle. In addition, using a 20yr shingle as opposed to a 30, 40 year or lifetime shingle in some instances may not be as cost saving as you might think. Carefully consider the weather patterns in your vicinity. Higher winds, such as may be experienced in your area, require additional nailing and thickness of material. Also consider this wind rating where insurer is concerned.
If it were my roof, I would carefully watch for discount sales on materials, as you can save thousands on your job. Make sure your contractor allows this, as some have their own supply for you to choose from.
One pre-existing layer of shingles is the most allowed, so if you only have one layer of roofing on now, you could possibly just have shingles installed, over the old, and reduce the cost of tearing off the old roof and also underlayment (felt, ice guard) during re-installation. Just make sure to double-check with the local inspector for roof-over special requirements and any current air quality requirements that may be enforced in your area.
The roof-over should consist of longer roofing nails, selected shingle material, delivery, setup, cleanup, permits where required.
Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks for your question!
Now that I'm getting some hard numbers, one proposal seems to include similarities like the others. I need your opinion as to what such a proposal is worth in terms of cost. Please reply via return e-mail to***@******.***. I'm in zip code 91307, west end of the San Fernando Valley area of the city of Los Angeles. Please advise your e-mail address or fax number so that I can send you copy of the proposal for your expert evaluation.