Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My chamberlain MYQ wall control is not working light

Customer Question
Hello my chamberlain MYQ wall...
Hello my chamberlain MYQ wall control is not working light blinks on and off on the wall control, I have jumped the two wires on the control, nothing, I jumped the red and white terminal on the unit and still no response. The remote works fine however. Please help, Mike
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/26/2015
Home Improvement Expert: BuilderNorb, General Contractor replied 3 years ago
BuilderNorb
BuilderNorb, General Contractor
Hi, I'd like to assist you with this problem. Could you please identify the year / model of the garage door opener you have? Has the wall mounted opener operated in the past, or is this a new installation? Did the opener you are having problems with come with the power-head, or was it purchased separately?
It is a year old had a power outage last night and the wall control just blinks. It is a chamberlain myq
what is the color of light that is blinking on the wall control?
Yellow
OK, this indicates reversed polarity. Power down the unit, disconnect battery if you have one, then switch the two wires at the controller. Restore power and let me know the status of the lights at the controller. It may take up to 5 minutes, we are looking for a steady glow on the yellow light.
Ok be back
Still blinking
when you restored power, did both the yellow and red lights blink? was it a fast or slow blink?
Only 1 yellow slow
If you have a handheld opener control, try and cycle the door fully open, then fully closed. let me know if the door operates normally through the full cycle.
Yes very normal
Remove the red and white wires for the door control panel from the back of the motor unit. These wires are located on the same side as the hanging antenna.Note: You do not need to disconnect the wires for the safety reversing sensors.Use a jumper wire to jump (make a connection) between the red and white terminals on the motor unit.If your opener does not activate using the jumper wire, replace your receiver logic board.If your opener activates using the jumper wire, reconnect the wires for the door control panel and proceed to step 3.Verify there is not excess wire connected to the screw terminals on the back of the door control panel. Any bare wires touching the circuit board can cause a shorted circuit.Check that the screw terminals on the back of the wall-mounted door control are tightened enough to hold the wires in place, but not over tightened.Finally, remove the wires from the back of the door control and touch wires together.Note: These are low voltage wires, touching the exposed ends is safe.If your opener activates after touching the bare ends of the wires together, replace the door control.If your opener does not activate after touching the bare ends of the wires together, replace the wires.
I jumped them at the unit but had to push the up down button on unit to activate
I put the 2 wires together on wall control nothing.
So, to confirm, when you jumped the red and white terminals on the motor unit, nothing happened. Then you pressed the manual up/down switch to get the door to operate?
Correct
Unfortunately, many times during power outages, a power surge can destroy sensitive instruments, and in the case of your opener, the receiver logic board many times is affected. You may want to install a surge protection device between the power supply and the motor plug-in. I would suspect the logic board is damaged in this case.
It was not a surge I tripped a gfi outlet that killed the power to it.
I understand, just realize that if you are unable to jump the operator using a jumper on the terminals, the receiver logic board is the root problem. The cause? That is another question, so I would advise you to consider replacing the GFCI switch that was tripped, as well as having your home's grounding system inspected. Also, before you make any repairs, try and log onto your MYQ account to see if they advise anything differently than i already have.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can assist you with. I hope that I have been of help, and i am here to discuss this further if you would like. Thanks for your question!