Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My home was built in 2012 and has solid oak flooring. My…

Customer Question
My home was built in...
My home was built in 2012 and has solid oak flooring. My first floor flooded and the flooring had to be removed. Once removed we discovered it had been glued to the concrete. I've spoken to several contractors who state I need engineered wood or a subfloor
(plywood) should I opt for solid flooring again in order to avoid problems in the future. A few other contractors have said I could spray several moisture barrier coatings on the concrete and glue the solid wood down to the slab. I live in south Texas where
it's quite humid. Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't really want to put a subfloor because it'll create an issue with my door frames.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/19/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Martin, Electrical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Martin, Electrical Engineer
Hi. "need engineered wood or a subfloor", indeed, that is what you need. It is too much of a risk to put solid oak direct on concrete. Bringing a floor higher is always a pita, you often need to saw the bottom of doors.
You could also go with an engineered floor instaled as a floating floor on top of a moisture barrier more preferably with integrated dimples (like Delta FL).
My installer is concerned about the thickness of the 3/8x3 unfinished engineered wood i got because they will have to stain it. Do you know if 5/8th unfinished engineered wood is available? What would you recommend? I need unfinished so they can match it with the flooring on my stairs and upstairs.
It is very hard to be able to get the same tickness, especially with engineered wood. You often can't pass it in a planer because they are made of many crossed thin layers. That said, i saw some at 5/8. As for the unfinished, you may have ask a special order from the manufaturer, many reseller won't carry that (but it sure exist at one point on the manufacturing line). Some may do the finish at the end of the process but some may actually glue the last layer already finished (so it may not be a possible order with their machine).