Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We have an elbow shaped pipe that runs from somewhere outside…

Customer Question
We have an elbow shaped...
We have an elbow shaped pipe that runs from somewhere outside our basement that is fitted into the floor. It is PVC. My home is about 90 years old, so we know this was added. There is a small pipe adjacent to the PVC and yesterday water gushed out of the small pipe (about a quarter inch around.) We put in a back flow valve, but yesterday the water came in and because the back flow valve was closed, the water was trapped and came into the basement. Could the pipe be some kind of connection to a catch basin? Could there be something under the built on porch?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/18/2015
Home Improvement Expert: canuck the pro, Handyman replied 2 years ago
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the home improvement field. I'll be glad to assist you today. Do you have air conditioning?
no AC
Did the water come out in the basement by the water heater? Where exactly did the water come out in the basement?
No. The water came out of the small pipe adjacent to the elbow shaped PVC pipe and pipes from the toilet to the drain and also the pipe from the kitchen sink into the main floor drain in the basement.
There are pipes out of the wall where the kitchen sink is and the toilet is? That is where the water came out? Sorry, I do not quite follow.
Sorry, there is no way to describe this pipe. Thanks anyway.
Could you post a couple of pictures of the outlets that water came out of?
Sorry, no. My phone does not have that capability.
Do you have a sump basin and are you in the U.S. or U.K.?
No sump pump and in the US. We can end now.
It is very likely that I will be able to tell you what the pipe is for and what the cause is if you would like to continue. Do you have a reserve tank for water in your attic?
No, I do not want to continue
If you change your mind I will be glad to continue to help. I am pretty sure I know what the pipe is for but I may have to inquire about a few more things to be sure.
Thanks, ***** *****'re done.
Ok.
Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect