Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am building a indoor spin class in a commercial building…

Customer Question
Hello, I am building...
Hello, I am building a indoor spin class in a commercial building and am looking for information on how best to soundproof the walls so the tenants and other classes aren't disrupted with the loud music. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/15/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 3 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
What type of construction is this building?

Brick Masonry, built in 1929

What are the interior partitions separating the spaces you want to "soundproof"

The space is currently one big square, I am putting up four walls to enclose the 'loud' spin studio and I am building another studio that will have loud music but not as loud as the high energy spin class. So basically drywall.

Ok, the basic principle of soundproofing is to eliminate the transmission of vibrations (sound is air vibrating) from one space to the adjacent space. How fastidious you want to be in that regard will equate to the amount of sound/vibration that's transmitted to the adjoining space. Of course better soundproofing = higher cost. At a minimum 2 layers of sheet rock and fiberglass insulation in the stud cavity will give you some modicum of reduced sound transmission. Here is a link to a video with an excellent explanation of how to obtain a significant level of sound reduction at a relatively low cost. You can incorporate any or all of the techniques mentioned.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paK_IU0pc8