How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Machinc Your Own Question
Machinc, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 934
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Machinc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have hairline cracking in my new home that I haven't closed

Customer Question

I have hairline cracking in my new home that I haven't closed on. This is new construction and I am finding these cracks on the interior of the house that lead to the exterior. I have a crack running horizontally from window to window. A vertical crack above the door that leads outside and another vertical crack underneath the window that has the horizontal crack. The crown molding and baseboards in the corners are also pulling apart. The home has been under construction for about 9 months and like I said I haven't even moved in yet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The home builder has also re-mudded these cracks and once the mud dries they come right back through.
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 years ago.
You shoukd ask your builder to have a structural engineer inspect the foundation and certify whether or not there is a problem with it.
What you have described goes beyond
normal cracks that occur during construction.
There are other causes such as extreme temperature
changes or humidity changes.
That said there is enough doubt that a foundation
inspection is warranted.
Whatever foundation problems, if any , need to be corrected.
This is something you need to discuss with
your builder .