The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

How can i tell if boards or a wall is safe to take away from

Customer Question

how can i tell if boards or a wall is safe to take away from a house? I have a basement with a makeshift cupboard system and i don't know if i can safely remove it for fear it may be structure support...
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome.
A cupboard system of any type will not be a bearing wall. The wall that it attaches to may be though.
Go ahead and remove the cupboards. If they are attached to a wall then let me know and we can figure out if it is a bearing wall before you take it out.
Best, Smitty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do, I'll send you a picture before committing to any major decisions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Robbie, definately not a bearing wall. Go ahead and remove the shelfs. The 4x4 posts in thge middle of the room do look to be supporting something though. They are definately not up to present day code by any standards. You may want to have them looked at by an engineer or architect for possible retrofit.
graphic

Hi, Robbie.
If there is there anything else I can do for you, or you need additional information, just let me know. I will be happy to answer any follow up questions at no additional cost.

If I have answered your question please, select a positive rating at this time.
Please, understand that you have only made a good faith deposit with the promise that you will transfer a portion of it to my account for my time and knowledge answering your question.

If you do not click on a positive rating I am not compensated for answering your question and the web site retains the full amount of your deposit.

Thank you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**