AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

I live in Sarasota, Florida, where the temperatures inside

Customer Question

I live in Sarasota, Florida, where the temperatures inside the house can get to 88 degrees because the roof is not insulated. In a period of one year, I have gone through two Harbor Breeze (Saratoga model) ceiling fans in the great room. There is air conditioning in the house, except it's not functioning properly in the summer months. The house needs additional air which I am planning to have installed fairly soon. Both fans in the great room functioned pretty well until the motors burned out within six months after installation (approximately). I would like to ask you if you could recomment a good fan (make and model number would be helpful). Would a fan with a turbo motor be the right answer? Do I need an outdoor model because of the high humidity in the house? I'm spending lots of good money for installations, etc.
Thank you.
Julia Jesaitis
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Julia,
Just to clarify the situation, the fans are located indoors, correct?
The fans run 24hr or do they get a break in between?
What speed are the fans operated on most of the time?
Is there a budget on the fans?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They run 24 hours
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are in the great room indoors.
Ok, thanks
Also, a couple more come to mind:
1. How high are the ceilings?
2. Are aesthetics critical? IN other words, are you looking for design elaborate looks, or quality and air movement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ceilings are 15-20 ft high. I'm looking for great air movement mostly although black or stainless steel would look best (not bronze). Dark wood would be good also. Quality!
Ok, thanks.
The reason for all the questions, is to insure what the need actually is on the situation.
With today's fans, there are so many companies using foreign manufacturing with low quality.
The Harbor Breeze line is a Lowe's branding and the Hampton Bay is Home Depots line.
They have some high cost fans in the lines, but they do not have any more quality in the motors than the less expensive ones.
The higher costs are in the aesthetics of the fan
If you want quality in a fan and a long life expectancy, a commercial fan is the way to go.
You will get 5 times the air flow and 10 times the life.
The drawback is, the variety of looks are minimal as well as materials.
They use aluminum for the blades mostly, but you can get some in black and chrome.
This may or may not be the road you wish to take, but I am looking at longevity and maximum air flow benefits.
Look over the page below and let me know what your thoughts may be if anything actually could fit the application.
You are looking at one manufacturer I have used prior and the warranties range from 3 yr-6 yr.
These fans will push 5-8 times a household fan costing 8 times as much money and run continuous with no problems.
It may not be what you are interested in, look them over and see.
There are other companies as well, the key is to look in the commercial fan environment, not the household.
You can do searches for the commercial fans, and get many manufacturers and pay attention to the airflow and warranty.
Most will be in the 20,000-30,000 CFM range.
A residential fan runs in the 5000-8000 CFM max range
They all sell the controllers for them as well and match them up so you can vary the speed on them to get them set at the desired level for the room.
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.airdistributor.net/c-2-ceiling-fans.aspx
Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't to spend more than $650.
Ok,
Understand.
Most of those are under $150 and then a controller is around $50.
So, $200 per fan.
Not sure if you looked at all the fans and pricing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe that you are leading me in the right direction. I need to spend some time looking at the commercial fans. Thank you so much!
Ok, very good.
Just check the items posted earlier and always get the controller they recommend for their fans and you will be set.
You have high ceilings and that is a huge plus for the commercial fans, it will cover the room entirely.
Thanks