Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I bought a new home with a deck. The deck is 8" down from…

Customer Question
I bought a new home...
I bought a new home with a deck. The deck is 8" down from the door sill and too high for my elderly father. I need to create a step about 4" on the deck attached to the door entrance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/1/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 3 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Just frame a "box" out of treated 2 x 4's that extends 10" from the wall with the door with intermediate support every 2' . Then top it off with 5/4 x 6 treated decking 2 board wide. A couple screws into the wall should be enough to hold it in place and will allow future removal with minimal damage. If you want to follow the letter of the code you'd have to rip 1/2" off the width of the 2 x 4's but given the likely "temporary" nature of this step I wouldn't worry about it