ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  35+year experience in business
20893398

My driveway is cracked and in bad shape. the company suggests

Customer Question

my driveway is cracked and in bad shape. the company suggests I do a petromat, and then put asphault over it...but I thought all the old asphault had to be torn out
so would the petromat be ok without tearing out the old driveway
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou for using this service! I will do my best to help you solve your problem today.
It is an installation that is more than a simple surface treatment for asphalt, but not as extensive as complete removal and replacement of a paved surface. It is not a cure-all for cracks in asphalt pavement. You should expect to see some hairline reflective cracks (cracks above where cracks existed in the prior surface) within the first year of installation. The cracks will increase over time, but the water-retardant properties of the mat(PRF) will keep surface run-off out of the structural asphalt base (sub-grade).
It is also important that the existing asphalt pavement be stable and of an adequate thickness. The edges of the existing pavement must be milled down to accommodate the installation of an overlay. If the existing pavement is too thin or weak to accommodate the milling process and construction process, then a PRF overlay is out of the question. Further, if the existing pavement is too old, excessively cracked, or shows signs of serious sub-grade failure, it is not a good candidate for a PRF overlay.
It sounds like a judgment call and it would depend on the cost savings to determine if a repair will give you satisfaction vs replacing it. Obviously a replacement will look better than patching it up.
If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting one of the 5 stars to rate me personally (not the site or the condition of your appliance) before you leave today. It is the only way JA will compensate me for my time researching your question.. You will then be locked into your question and you can continue asking follow-up questions if you still need assistance.