Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Which factory applied finish has the LOWEST VOC count? Galvalume…

Customer Question
which factory applied finish has...
which factory applied finish has the LOWEST VOC count? Galvalume on steel, or hot dipped galvanized steel?
thank you mist science
charlie martin
architect
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/28/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome! Your question will be answered in detail. UP to 48 hours step by step coaching on diagnosis & repairs $38 additional.
There are no VOC's associated with galvanzed steel, or galvalume themselves..
The manufacturers however sometimes coat these products with a fine film of oil or other substance to prevent oxidation, dullness or finger prints, and that releases VOC's
The VOC emissions vary with that coating and varies with the manufacturer.
If you can buy any 'paintable' product in those two categories, VOC emisions would drop to zero in virtually all cases. That would still need to be confirmed with particular manufacturer however.
If you buy in volume you could specify that it not be coated.
Let me know what volume you are looking at, we can go from there...any confirming lab tests on this end of course would be at additional cost.
.