AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

Just bought a kenmore freezer. Looking at instructions says

Customer Question

Just bought a kenmore freezer. Looking at instructions says not to plug into a gfci or use an extension cord?? Options?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Is there not a receptacle at the refrigerator location that is not GFCI protected?
How many receptacles in the kitchen and how many of them are GFCI?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Planned to put it in my garage(due to limited space in house.(chest freezer). There is a gfci plug where I planned to put the freezer. There are other plugs in the garage over 25 ft. away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but not gfci plugs.
Ok, thanks.
The reason they do not want it on a GFCI, is because of the compressor motor on the fridge, they can sometimes trip them out and then if not seen, food will spoil.
Basically 2 choices:
If the other receptacles are on the same circuit as the existing GFCI and get their power from it, you could remove it from that position and install the GFCI on the next receptacle in line.
That would still have the others protected and allow you to install a standard single receptacle at the fridge location.
You would just combine the wires color to color and add a short jumper to them which will connect to the new receptacle.
The reason for the single receptacle, is so it is dedicated for the appliance and not to be used as a convenience receptacle in the garage.
All convenience receptacles are required to be GFCI protected.
Or, second option, is add a receptacle right near the existing one, and you will wire the new one off the GFCI on the LINE terminal screws.
That will allow the others to stay as they are and the new one will be on the power to the GFCI and not on the load being protected by it so tripping will not affect the new one.
Again, the new one would need to be a single receptacle for a dedicated appliance situation.
Hope that helps explain, let me know
Thanks