Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have some crema marfil marble that was installed in Feb,

Customer Question
and residue keeps forming on...
I have some crema marfil marble that was installed in Feb, and residue keeps forming on the tiles even after cleaning, any idea what is causing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/4/2015
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Can you describe the residue?
It seems to be dust like, hard to wipe off. It polishes off with marble dust.
I have a picture, how can I send that?
Is the marble set on a slab? or on a wood floor? if on a floor was it a mud job?
I don't see anything except a shiny marble floor in the pic
set on a slab, Merkrete 7000 anti fracture membrane
zoom in I cleaned 2 tiles in front of the door, look at the tiles directly above that.
they look like splotches in the reflective light
mud set
Since the floor has been in for a while it sounds like efflorescence. In most cases it will go away after a while. It's basically salts in the slab concrete an the mortar used to set the tile leaching out through the marble.
are there any tests for this?
slab was poured over 16 months ago , still happening
stucco mix was used for the mud set.
No tests. Efflorescence is the only likely explanation. The slab may have been poured 16 months ago but the floor has only been there ~4 month.
would the stucco mix be leaching the salt? Please confirm
any articles you can refer me to explain to my customer?
Most of the articles I know of you wouldn't want to give your customer because they say that the best way to avoid it is during the install. You could Google "efflorescence on marble flooring" and spend some time reading, looking for one that doesn't put the onus on the installer.
Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect