Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Im painting my kitchen ceiling "pearl tint" (cream color),

I'm painting my kitchen ceiling...
I'm painting my kitchen ceiling "pearl tint" (cream color), over white. I get a lot of natural light in my kitchen. I have painted the ceiling 3 times because the final result is patchy, or has streaks, like it shows various areas on the ceiling where I refreshed my paint roller, and painted a new area. I have painted many times over the years, and this is the first time I've had this problem!! I'm going to re do it again. I'm zig zagging my strokes and then painting over it to spread out my paint. HELP!! Any advice to help make this paint job look smooth??? Thank You!
10/6/2013
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman

Dr. Fix-It :

Hi my name is Shaw aka Dr.Fix-It , Your online expert ready to assist you...

Dr. Fix-It :

Usually in Kitchen ceiling application have to make sure the area is properly clean from dust, grease as smoke will carry and leave layer on spots in contacts on the ceiling.

Dr. Fix-It :

If can take a sponge type mop, dampen with a solution of dish soap and water to wipe the ceiling area.. allow to dry and then apply a good Kilz primer before repainting > http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=315214dce5542310VgnVCM100000176310acRCRD

Dr. Fix-It :

Should have mid temperature with not too much humidity and good air flow to allow the paint to dry and not streak into droplets if applied to thick at spots.

Customer:

I did that prior to painting.

Dr. Fix-It :

So you clean and primed?

Customer:

YES!

Dr. Fix-It :

What type of primer did you use, as all primers are not equal and have had great success with KILZ products.

Dr. Fix-It :

Also if the ceiling is smooth should not use too thick or soft of a roller to prevent spotchy application.

Customer:

Zinseer primer--but I would think after priming, and 2 paint jobs already, this shouldn't be my patchy/streaky problem?? My ceiling is textured, not smooth.

Dr. Fix-It :

For textured ceiling do need a soft thick microfiber type roller to get into all area of the ceiling and need to overlap the strokes to blend the coverage and reduce the streak effect.

Customer:

I've done that.

Dr. Fix-It :

Is the room square or has some bends and curves?

Customer:

Square.

Dr. Fix-It :

If square can just paint in uniform rows left to right and then follow by seconds coat of even rows up and down so to coverage will be checkered and neat.

Customer:

I've tried.

Dr. Fix-It :

OK will need to cover the walls and floor for paint vapor will travel, but best solution if rolller does not cover well, is to spray the ceiling and can get a good medium duty hand paint sprayer for about $100 > http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Power-Painter-Plus-6-6-GPH-with-EZ-Tilt-Technology-0525027/202735153?N=arv5#.UlGNmVCsiSo

Dr. Fix-It :

If room temperature is to hot or dry, can open windows and run some floor fans to help the paint dry evening and quickly as well.....

Dr. Fix-It :

sorry meant evenly

Customer:

I considered that. I appreciate your help,although your thoughts are all things I've considered.

Dr. Fix-It :

As long as a quality paint, then just need to apply in even as possible and allow the paint to set quickly to one consistent finish.

Dr. Fix-It :

May consider a oil based paint as is not effected by the air moisture and will dry quickly, though may have a stronger smell as dries...

Customer:

I'm using a fairly new paint, "Clark and Kensington". What is your opinion on this paint? My cousin who is an interior designer recommended "Pratt and Lambert" which I used on other rooms in the house, but it is no longer available in my small rural county.

Dr. Fix-It :

Sorry not familiar with that brand, I have used sherwin williams and behr paints and in kitchen or bath apply oil based enamels as once dried can wipe off stains and repels water.

Customer:

I have no further questions. Thank you.

Dr. Fix-It :
Please rate my answer EXCELLENT now since we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. Thank You. . . Remember Dr.Fix-It on any future inquires as well > http://www.dr-fix-it-advise.com/ <

Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman