How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Machinc Your Own Question
Machinc, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 945
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Machinc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am building a pre-engineered building with a total area 29,370

This answer was rated:

I am building a pre-engineered building with a total area 29,370 sq.ft. I have a 20,215 sq.ft open area that will have drive thru bays. Of the 20,215 sq.ft area, 8142 sq.ft will be a repair garage and the remaining 12,073 sq.ft will be storage/parking garage.
My question is: Do I need a fire separation wall separating the repair garage area and the storage/parking garage? If yes, what type of wall construction and what fire rating is required? Based on the National Building Code of Canada 2010
You answer along with the NBCC 2010 reference would be greatly appreciated.
I will have to get the code and get back

Not just a regular wall but a wall with all holes plugged
with fire resistant caulk and putty may be necessary.
This is just possibilities. Let me get some facts and get
Right back

David. Machado
Here is the site for the NBCC 2010Fire code will be right backI am verifying your particulars and will be right back.David. Machado
I think this site is better

Back with more

David. Machado
It appears the building code can be pretty vague about what is required.
I have the best way to be sure you are
building to code is to meet with the local building
Inspector with your blue prints in hand.
They are able to go over your prints and tell you
exactly what is required in the way if firewalls
or if they are needed at all . I have always found this
method to be successful and it also estaishes
a relationship with the local inspector.

David Machado
The code recommends you contact
your local officials to see what applies in your area or province.

David. Machado
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Hello, I see you ran into a problem getting the answer you wanted on this issue.

I of course have no idea what the situation is entirely, but you can tell me if my guess is correct and that can lead to an answer to your question.

I am guessing the city building department is demanding an expensive fire wall and that you are trying to find documentation in the code that says it is not required....let me know if that is a correct guess or not.


If that is the case it will be useful to understand that the building code is a *minimum standard.. and that the city can demand construction to a higher standard as they see fit and very often do, and that their authority in that matter is absolute.

They can demand construction grossly in excess of the codes minimum standard and force compliance... even if it makes no practical sense.


You are not asked or obligated to accept my remark here as an answer to your question... I am just attempting to help you sort out what your options might be.

This is why the previous expert referred you to the city building department.. they and no one else are the final authorities on what is built in their jurisdiction.

If you wish to continue with me I might be able to help you minimize the heartburn dealing with the city...there may be other options the city has not considered.

If a firewall is need it is both for your good and the good of
anyone in your building. And neighboring
It is best to see what is required before you proceed.
With a concrete block wall the only difference
is the plugging of holes with fireproof material.
That is the holes required for plumbing and electrical
Framed walls. are often. just single or
double drywall over metal or flame retardant
Studs. The holes also have to be plugged.
However your situation may vary and should be
decided by consulting with local building

David Machado
Having been involved in the rebuilding of numerous buildings that were razed by fire I have seen the consequences of building to minimum standards.Think of the money spent as insurance.When a burned building is inspected every possible item is checked to determine fault and what could have been done. To preventthe damage.On a lesser scenario a building found outof compliance on a random fire inspection can be shut down and expensive renovations required beforeit can be reoccupied . Any money spent now to comply with local requirementsis well spent . David Machado
The best way to deal with authorities is straightforward
with your building plans. and questions well
prepared. There are no short cuts or. alternatives
to safe construction.
David. Machado
The local inspectors office will have copies of all
the building codes both local and national. They are
glad to share these codes with builders.
If you disagree with their opinion ask them to show you the code.

They will be involved in your project from
start to finish. Numerous inspections. are
required . Getting off on the right foot
can be very helpful to speeding your project
along . Once you get past this obstacle things
can proceed much faster.

David Machado
Just checking to see if you have made any progress
with your project.

David. Machado
If you have any more questions I
will be glad to help.
I know you are faced with a lot
of options .

David Machado
Machinc, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 945
Experience: Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
Machinc and 2 other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you