Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Door opens fine but then when we go to close-- it goes about

half to 2/3 of the...
Door opens fine but then when we go to close-- it goes about half to 2/3 of the way and then just stops. you push button and it goes rest of the way. No flashing lights or anything. weird
9/24/2013
Brian
Brian, Architect
Hi and thanks for using our service! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to give you the most accurate answer.

My initial guess is that you need to increase the DOWN FORCE. It is a knob/ screw on the motor unit and it doesn't take much of a turn to get results.

Try performing the following tests, which will help narrow down the problem:

First, I would close the door and then disconnect the door from the trolley and operate the door manually. The door NEEDS to roll smoothly and not bind on anything and it NEEDS to be balanced and stay at any point you stop it. If the door wants to go down by itself the springs are weak or broken and at fault. If the door wants to go up by itself the spring is set too strong. If needed, have a qualified service technician fix/ adjust them as they can be very dangerous to work with since they are under extreme tension.

Second, operate the opener WITHOUT the door attached and see if it operates correctly. The trolley will fully go up and down if working properly. See if the trolley still stops 2/3 of the way down.

Performing these tests will help narrow down whether the door/ tracks are giving you the problem or the motor unit is giving you the problem. Let me know what you find.

well I unhooked the door and the opener stops on the down cycle without door attached when I hit button again it goes on forward.

Hi Bob,

Since the opener still stops without the door attached, it is safe to say that the opener is the problem.

Verify that the trolley is not binding on anything in the area where it stops.

The next thing to do is to take the cover off the opener. Watch the plastic gears inside the opener as you try to close it and see if some teeth are missing on the gears or if there is any binding going on or if the gears are worn down at all.

well adjusted down force now it is stopping 4-5 times on the down cycle. moved back to original setting and still does same. Yep looks like opener is crapping out.

Yeah, I don't think it is the "down force" anymore since it still stopped without the door attached. You will need to take the cover off and inspect as I mentioned in the earlier post.
Brian
Brian, Architect
Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect