Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Hi Ever since Hurricane

Hi Ever since Hurricane...
Hi Ever since Hurricane Irene, 2 years ago, our basement(home from 1970's) takes on water under the basement door which has a wheelchair ramp ,when there is wind-driven rain. The house is also sinking I believe and needs grading ,etc. Please tell me the steps I should take, simplist to most difficult and who I should get to do it. I looked up waterproofing contractors and they would want to do the whole basement which would be 4,000+, I believe... I just want to get it WATERTIGHT by the end of September. Any suggestions?

How much do landscapers charge to put dirt around house to grade it and whats involved and how do you know who to hire? Many Thanks!
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2013
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome back to Just Answer!

Can you send me some pictures inside and outside the house by the basement door... and some distance shots of the area so I can assess the grade, drainage and slope issues.

We can go from there.

Phil

Hi Phil...Thanks I have a digital camera and iphone but don't know how to get pictures to your site.

Hello again,

If you know how to post pictures to the web... you can use www.flickr.com

Just post them there, and send me the URL address at the top of the screen while you are looking at your photo. I can then get them off of Flickr.

Phil

Hi Phil....Don't know how to do that. ONly know how to take pics. Could you give me some guidelines?Thanks!

Hello again, learning how to take and send pics is a bit of along learning curve for most of us...however the kids seem to have no problem at all doing it.... if you think of someone you know with kids, that would work best. about 9 out 10 can do it easily.

Or... if you can take the pictures and load them into your computer you can send them as attachments in an email to [email protected] (attention: Alumalite) and they will forward them to me.

Let me know, if any of that might work, we can go from there.

Phil

Hi Phil....Just sent pics...let me know if you need more!Thanks

Hello again, its 4 pm saturday where I am, no pictures have arrived yet. Tomorrow is sunday, I may not get them until monday if you sent them via '[email protected]'

If you tried to send then using the paper clip icon in this dialog box... you may try again, they have not shown up so far.

Phil

Hi Phil...Pics were sent days ago to Alumalite....Anything?

Hi Phil....Did you receive the pics yet?Hope so!

Hello again, I will forward this our customer service department again with this note.

Note: We need to figure out a way to help this customer send her pictures, she is using an apple computer and is not up on how to do these things....lets see if we can come up with some options.. on your end you should be able see what has been tried already and where the problem is.

Thanks, Phil
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Have a licensed general contractor give an appraisal of the problem and an estimate for making the
Door leak proof. this jind of service is often free or deducted from the
work. the general contractor should be avle to advise you
If you need a landscape contractor.
if you do they usually also give free estimates.
do not use anyone that is not a licensed and insured
contractor. between the two of them they should be able
To resolve your problem.
Also contact your homeowners insurance agent
As some of this work may be covered.
Let me know how it goes
David Machado

Just wanted to say I can't emphasize enough.
This is not a job for a handyman.
You need a written contract of the work to be done
from whoever you use.
David Machado
Just checking back to see how things are going.
If you need anything else please let me know.
David Machado
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor