Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I had laminate floor installed on my stairs but the nose moulding

isn't flush with the floor...
I had laminate floor installed on my stairs but the nose moulding isn't flush with the floor. is this the way it's supposed to be?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/3/2013
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

The nose (at the edge of the tread) should be flush with the rest of the tread

Customer:

what does tread mean?

Rick :

The flat of the stair where you step

Rick :

The vertical board is called a riser

Customer:

if I'm bare foot going down the stairs, the ball of my foot hits that nose and it hurts

Rick :

Ok, if I understand your situation you have laminate on most of the tread and a nose molding at the edge

Rick :

The tread (where you step) should be flat, no height difference with the nosing

Customer:

yes. the moron that did my floor, installed the tread then went back to fill the ugly gaps on the edge with the nose. so i'm thinking he just mounted that on top of the laminate instead of doing the nose first then the laminate

Rick :

That would not be the proper way to do it and is a code violation

Customer:

ok so this person screw me over

Customer:

i'm sorry i'm very upset

Customer:

thanks for your help

Rick :

That's ok, it's understandable to be upset when you pay good money and get a sub standard job

Customer:

one last question, when you say code violation, is this like bad?

Rick :

It means if a building inspector were to inspect this work it would not pass inspection. It also sounds like a potential trip hazard

Customer:

so could the inspector force this person to redo the stairs?

Rick :

If the contractor is licensed then he could lose his license if he doesn't fix this. You would need to have a permit for the job for an inspector to get involved. In most cases modifications to a stair way require a permit and it's the contractor's responsibility to procure one.

Customer:

ok the person that did the remodeling of my house is like a handy man. so he most likely doesn't have a license to do any of this stuff. when he was fixing some lighting fixtures, he went to get the permit, but this was done after the entire floor was done. I didn't see any inspector do the follow up, and the dude took the permit down on his own

Customer:

in the rooms the floor is rising everywhere. his guys, nailed some parts of the floors, I guess to keep it from rising, but it's not working. the entire floor looks uneven. is the floor supposed to be leveled first before doing the laminate floor?

Rick :

Ok, if he won't come back and fix this then you can threaten to call the building inspector. Since it sounds like this was never inspected that may be enough motivation to get him back to make this right

Customer:

is it required to level the floor prior to laminate installation?

Rick :

Depends on the product. Some require no more than 5/16" variation in the floor

Customer:

would this be something that a building inspector would check for?

Rick :

Flooring however is not generally a code related issue unless it's a hazard

Rick :

The stairs however are definitely a code issue

Customer:

ok thank you very very much!!!

Customer:

I will return later if I have more questions!!!

Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor